March Gallery Walking Tour
Destination Chippendale: The Creative Heart of Sydney warmly invites you to attend the March instalment of our Explore Chippendale Gallery Walking Tour. The experience includes complimentary wine, and the opportunity for a sumptuous lunch on Kensington Street.
Chippendale Creative Precinct is a non- profit organisation that aims to celebrate and develop the lifestyle and culture of Chippendale. The Gallery Walking Tours are a monthly initiative that demonstrate our passion for Chippendale and commitment to transforming the precinct into a thriving cultural destination.
Save the date: Saturday, 18th March
Meeting Point: Kensington Contemporary, 32 Kensington Street, Chippendale
This month you will be able to take in a guided tour of the following:
- Kensington Contemporary Gallery – Nicole Kelly, ‘A Path To – Works on Paper’. A Path To captures snapshots of the artist’s visual and emotional stimuli during her recent Aktuelle Architektur Der Kultur Residency in Blanca, a village in southern Spain.
- UTS Gallery – Biljana Jancic, ‘Surface Tension’. Surface Tension aims to fold space and time through projected images and the insertion of reflective surfaces, creating ways for the viewer to become a part of the work.
- Dr Chau Chak Wing Building, UTS – designed by Frank Gehry. The first Australian building designed by Frank Gehry, one of the world’s most celebrated architects.
- The Powerhouse Museum. Out of Hand: Materialising the Digital explores the increasingly important role of digital manufacture in contemporary art, science, fashion, design and architecture, and Icons: From the MAAS Collection explores what makes a museum object an icon in the 21st century.
Join us as we explore the exhibition spaces and arts destinations thriving throughout Chippendale this month. Our guides will lead you through four exhibitions over two hours, interviewing artists and gallerists along the way.
This month’s tour will traverse contemporary art from a wide range of practicing artists. Exploring light, form and colour across the four exhibitions, guests will begin to unravel the connection between meaning and medium in the world of modern art.
Optional Lunch Invitation:
Join us for a gastronomic adventure prior to our March Historical and Gallery Walking Tours. This month, for $28 between 12:30-2 pm, we will delight in a sumptuous Indochine dining experience Mekong, Kensington Street. Travel along the Mekong River as Chef Tiw Rakarin takes you on a tangibly nostalgic journey of his childhood.
Includes complimentary wine!
Meeting point: Mekong, Upper Level, 14 Kensington Street, Chippendale
Previous tours have been a great success with bookings filled to capacity. To ensure your place on the tour and avoid disappointment, be sure to make a booking today!
‘The galleries and works commented on had variety and were of high quality, the atmosphere was friendly but informative, Susannah was a knowledgeable and approachable guide’
– Geraldine Norris, June 2016
“The lunch was delicious, and there was so much food on offer, it was definitely great value. The art galleries were very interesting and Susannah was well briefed and very informative. Hearing from the artists was an absolute bonus. Interestingly, we all discovered a part of Sydney none of us had been to.”
– Michele Dunn, April 2016
“I enjoyed the commentary from the artists themselves which really put the artworks in perspective.”
– Ermin Tham, March 2016
“Just wanted to say thanks for organizing such a fun (and informative) tour – and festivities. Susannah was an excellent guide, and I enjoyed talking to various members of our group.”
– Lindy Reid, February 2016